Spink County, South Dakota Newspapers  

In this section, we hope to include a list of past and current newspapers published in, or for, Spink County. We will attempt to provide information on how to contact the paper if it is still in publication, or we will provide information as to where copies of old papers can be located.

Name of Newspaper
Location of Newspaper
Available on Microfilm?
Submitter
The Aberdeen News
Aberdeen, SD 57401
Pending
Marilyn Fortin Hobusch
The Redfield Press
Redfield, SD 57469
Pending
Marilyn Fortin Hobusch
The Times Record
(see below)
P. O. Box 387
Doland, SD 57436-0387
Pending
Marilyn Fortin Hobusch
The Conde News
P. O. Box 202
Conde, SD 57434-0202
Pending
Marilyn Fortin Hobusch
Pending
Pending
Pending
Pending

According to the South Dakota Historical Society, few, if any, early Spink County papers still exist today. This includes papers published prior to 1920. If you have copies of old newspapers from Spink County prior to 1920, please contact the Historical Society in Pierre as they may want to add them, or a copy of them, to their collection.


Obituary (copy found in Family papers) - submitted by Sue Kurtz, Silverton, Colorado - skurtz3824@aol.com
Mr. Fred Hilkemeier passed away at his home in Tulare on Sunday morning, December 8th (1946) at 1:45 o'clock following a short illness with heart trouble. He had reached the age of 79 years, 2 months and 24 days. Frederick Hilkemeier was born in Wiembeck, Germany on September 14, 1867. He was baptized and confirmed in the Reformed Church of his native land and was active in the organization of the Evangelical Reformed Church of Tulare of which he was a devoted member.
In 1883, at the age of 15, he immigrated to America coming directly to Spink County, S. Dakota. He was united in marriage to Mathilde Otto on February 9, 1893. To this union were born nine children--six daughters: Mrs. Irma Sumner, Mrs. Alma Rice, Mrs. Martha Blume, Miss Ella Hilkemeier, Mrs. Irene MacNeill, Mrs Mathilde Henze; and three sons: Erwin, Ewald and Herbert. His beloved wife and his daughter Martha preceded him in death in 1936.
Mr. Hilkemeier was one of the early pioneer settlers of Spink County. His was a life of service in the work of the church and the community. He was a kind and loving husband and father, honored and revered by all who knew him. He leave to morn his passing, eight children, eleven grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, one brother, Carl Hilkemeier of Redfield, besides a large number of other relatives and a host of friends.
Funeral services were held at the Evangelical Church at Tulare on Wednesday afternoon, December 11th, with the Rev. Clyde McCone officiating. Interment was made in the Tulare Cemetery.
Here are some newspaper articles from the book, Doland S.D. Centennial 1882-1982" edited by the Book Committee: Susie Albrecht, Editor; Pam Hofer; Maggie Labrie; Howard Hahn; and Helen Peterson. Printers: East River Electric of Madison, SD - the following information was contributed by Michelle Heslep.

DAYS GONE BY... The following short items were found in the first newspaper printed
DECEMBER 19, 1882:

The hard coal is coming.

The Record office will be for the present with Attorney Korns.

E.B. Korns in making arrangements to build a residence in town, and will go to housekeeping.

J.J. Kelly, our section foreman, has built a good residence in town 18 by 20, two stories with an ell.

N.J. Johnson has opened a first-class lumber yard here and is prepared to fill all orders. He has thus far done a remarkably good business.

J.B. Walbridge, formerly railroad agent at Hoopeston, Ill. has been appointed agent at Doland. He has a nice office in the new depot and is now at home.

Mr. H.G. Brown has purchased two lots north of the depot and has lumber on the ground for building 20 by 24 two stories and will ad a wing 22 by 24, on story, to be used for a hotel.

Rev. Clark, pastor of M.E. Church for this place, has taken a claim near town. He has taken advantage of Mr. Doland's off of $500.00 for a church. The stone will soon be drawn and before the flowers spring forth again we shall have a good church edifice.

W.M. Rogers has a general store and carries a good stock of merchandise. Mr. Rogers has been appointed postmaster at this place, and expects to have the office open for business about Jan. 1st.

---------------------------------

* The Doland Record changed hands in June 1883, and J.C. Taylor became editor.

The following items appeared in various issues of the paper that year...
JUNE 12, 1883

The first election ever held in Doland took place on Tuesday, being for school officers. Polls were open at the P.O. buildings from 8 to 4 o'clock. The following judges of election appointed by the commissioners, and clerk chosen by the electors, in the absence of those appointed, officiated: Judges - J.J. Kelly, Geo. F. Bush and B. Korns; Clerks - F. Grout and W.H. Pennington. As 90 day residence in the territory is required to entitle a man to exercise the right of franchise, the largest part of the residents could not vote. 59 ballots were cast and resulted in nearly unanimous choice of the following... Director - H.C. Carter; Clerk - D. P. Bannister.

A daughter was born to Mr. & Mrs. Jefferson McFadden, May 2, 1883, she was the first child born in Doland. The proprietors of the town are expected to furnish a name and donate a town lot.

Postmaster Rogers has partitioned off the post-office, and arranged it in more convenient shape.

JUNE 26, 1883

A.A. Divine brought home a live badger a few days ago, which he caught by the tail and held until assistance came to help him drag it out from the old hole it had taken refuge.

Raymond has a new paper, three weeks old, which presents a neat typographical appearance, and speaks well for its business men and the town with five columns of home advertising.

It is reported that squatters occupy nearly all the land between here and the Missouri River. Parties in search of vacant government land in South Dakota will soon have to look very closely.

JULY 9, 1883

Strawberries, apples, and peaches have appeared in market.

The Doland boys were worsted at baseball, at Frankfort, on the 4th by a score of 3 to 1.

The Fargo House opening ball was a very pleasant party, but was not as largely attended as if it had been on some other evening. Too many counter attractions.

Less than a year ago this whole section was an unoccupied county. Now it is not only occupied, but quarter sections are valued at from $700 to $1400.

Ninety days ago there were but three or four buildings in Doland, now there are upwards of forty. There are at this time 1 hardware, 1 drugstore, 2 flour and feed, 2 agricultural, 3 grocery, 1 dry-goods, and millinery, 1 tobacco and cigar store, 1 barber shop, 2 lumber yards, 1 lime and coal store, 3 hotels, 2 blacksmith shops, 1 first class livery stable, 1 harness shop.

JULY 31, 1883

To Mr. and Mrs. Scoville, five miles south of town, yesterday morning a daughter.

T.D. Henry is building a dwelling just west of his market, and expects to move his family here about Sept. 1.

Several of our business men hesitate to bring their families here on account of the lack of provision for schools. A good school house is a pressing necessity here, and a petition should be presented to the Board to take immediate action on the matter.

SEPTEMBER 4, 1883

Invitations are out for a harvest dance at Tarbell Hall, 14th inst.

W.I. McMaster is expected to arrive this week, to take possessions of the drug store.

The climate seems to affect the hens favorably, Daniel Austin has one that is in the habit of laying eggs that measure 8 inches around.

OCTOBER 18, 1883

General Sherman will, on Nov. 1st, return to civil life and turn the command of the army over to General Sheridan.

All ex-soldiers in eastern Spink are requested to meet at Power's Hall, Doland, on Saturday afternoon next, for the purpose of taking the necessary steps to organize a post of the G.A.R.

The election for county commissioner in this district, and on the adoption or rejection of the constitution is appointed at Short & Hills office for precinct 14 and E.B. Korns, Ira Hastings and A.C. Short are named as judges. The date of election is Tuesday, November 6.

OCTOBER 18, 1883

Prairie fires were visible in all directions on Monday night, at considerable distances from Doland. Several large blazes were particularly prominent on the coteanus.

NOVEMBER 1, 1883

Mawford & Fowler have further improved their corner by moving to the building formerly occupied by S.A. Welch as a feed store, which will be fitted up for rent as a dwelling.

NOVEMBER 8, 1883

Clara D. Martha, infant daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Jefferson McFadden, died Oct. 26th, age 5 months and 24 days. (Ed. note - This must have been the first baby born in Doland.)

The elections in Doland on Tues. resulted in 67 votes for the constitution and none against. L. Culver for commissioner had 54 votes, and J.L. Labrie, Jr. 18.

Dr. Crane is attending the meeting of Dakota Central Medical Society in Session at Redfield.

NOVEMBER 15, 1883

Mr. Fargo will complete his contract for the building of the six school houses in the district within the specified time, although it was hardly supposed possible. He has been favored by good weather however, and has pushed the work energetically. The building in this village is already completed, and although not large is a tasty and convenient structure. The plan is made with the expectation of making future additions, as the growth of the town shall demand. The building will be one story, however large, that being the latest idea in school architecture. Although not so imposing as many towns, ambitious of lofty school structures, would desire, it is really much better avoiding the climbing of stairs, which is the cause of much noise, frequent detriment to health, and unquestionable danger in case of fire.

NOVEMBER 22, 1883

Religious services were held in the school house for the first time on Sunday, and were well attended. Rev. D.J. Holmes officiated.

The sociable and dance on Thursday evening were not so well attended as if the weather had been pleasanter, but were much enjoyed by those present, and netted $25.00 for the school bell.

DECEMBER 20, 1883

The Sunday School will give a Christmas entertainment Monday evening next, in the new school house. The program is to be entertaining in every way, for both young and old. Everybody is invited to attend.

The Raymond Gazette has been sold to S.L. Hague.

This morning was decidedly the coldest of the season, thermometers in this place registered 18 to 20 degrees below zero.

The cowardly thieves who make a business of plundering deserted claim shanties, are not always satisfied with the contents alone, but in some cases take away the shanties.

This page was created on January 1, 2004.

© Copyright 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2004 by Steven A. Bridges. All rights reserved.

This site is maintained, by John Schulte, Spink County SDGenWeb Volunteer Coordinator. The information on this site is for the non-commercial use of visitors to the SDGenWeb Project only, and it cannot be used for any commercial use without express written consent.

 

This site was last updated 04/18/11