of Main and Deadwood St., Fort Pierre 
The county seat is Fort
Early in the history of
what is today Stanley County, there were at least nine forts, five of which
LaFramboise - Opened in 1817 by Joseph
Stanley County was first
organized in the year 1873. In 1897 Stanley became the 2nd largest
county by taking in the unorganized counties of Armstrong, Jackson, Nowlin,
LaFramboise, it was the first fur trading post.
Pierre - A fur trading post, it opened on the site of
the old Fort LaFramboise. Completed in 1832.
George - Fur trading and military post. It operated
as a trading post as early as 1819, but was named
Fort George in 1840.
Pierce - Fur trading and military
Bennett - Military
By 1907, the railroad
connected with the Black Hills bringing in hundreds of homesteaders.
New towns and post offices sprung up across the county over the next several
In 1914, Stanley County
was divided, into three counties: Stanley, Haakin and Jones counties.
The county is divided
into three areas of unorganized territory: Lower Brule, North Stanley,
and South Stanley.
The Lewis and Clark
expedition passed through the area in 1804.
Register of Deeds
PO Box 596
Fort Pierre, SD 57532
Birth $10.00 since 1905
Death $10.00 since 1905
Marriage $7.00 since
Last Update: November