Howdy! I am Stewart "Stu" Marty, and I live in the Fall River County seat, Hot Springs, South Dakota. I moved back to the Black Hills after being away for more than 30 years. My family was among the pioneers of western Dakota Territory, and my great grandfather (Joe Marty) arrived in the Black Hills in 1875, and settled in the Fall River area in 1876. Joe was also the first elected sheriff of Fall River County.
- Fall River County Historical Society
- Fall River County's brief but rich western history is being preserved by the Fall River County Historical Society and their artifact collections are on display at the Pioneer Museum in Hot Springs. The museum is open daily to the public, Monday through Saturday from May 15th until October 15th. Please come visit, and be sure tell them "Old Stu" sent you.
- Books by Peggy Sanders -- Local Fall River author offers several area history books. Sanders also write the 90-Years Ago column for the Hot Springs Star newspaper.
- 100 Year S.D. Birth Record Search Site. Site contains information from birth records with birth dates of over 100 years of age as required by South Dakota Codified Law 34-25-8. At this time this site contains 114,195 records.
- EVERGREEN CEMETERY -- Hot Springs, S.D. This is a site being prepared by our Fall River friend, Jodi Sides, and her helper, Stacey Martin. As of October 2001, she has two sections of the cemetery ready and searchable online, and plans to add more. I found several of my ancestors already listed on this site. Please go visit it, and tell Jodi THANKS! -- editors note: more sections added May 2002 --
- HOT SPRING National Cemetery records ONLINE (U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs Database
- Edgemont Cemetery
- Fairview Cemetery (Oral, So. Dak.)
- HOT SPRING STAR obituary look-ups
- SDGENWEB Archives for Fall River (includes: biographies, and some nice local area business directories from the early 1900's)
- Hot Springs, S.D. a very nice site sponsored by the Hot Springs Area Chamber of Commerce
- Historical books available for Igloo and Ardmore Please see NEWS page for information
- Edgemont, S.D. another Fall River town site sponsored by the local area chamber of commerce
- Fall River County Biographies
- Hot Springs High School Alumni Page
- NOTE: This Hot Springs alumni (formerly called "Reunion") site contains many lists (1000's) of names of people and addresses going back into the '30's. Someone looking for a surname, could easily tap into a wealth of addresses and dates and contacts there.
SOUTH DAKOTA SEARCH ENGINE
the USGenWeb South Dakota Archives
Joy Fisher, South Dakota's State Coordinator,
has a web site devoted to Native
Please check this new resource out.
GenWeb search site for United
the USGenWeb Archives
We are always looking for interesting facts, links, and other
historical information relating to Fall River County.
If you would like to submit something which might be usefull for this website, please contact me.
"Stu" Marty, County Coordinator -
Fall River County Site Pages
Directory History Inquiries Links LookUps Send
Fun News History Fall
This page was last updated Tuesday, 31-Aug-2010 17:24:11 EDT
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since
Sunday, November 1, 1998